Human Rights Category
For assistance in coordinating with the Human Rights Department, please complete a service request here.
The Ulster County Human Rights Commission exists to foster respect for the rights of all people and to explore opportunities for improving relations among all people of Ulster County.
The Human Rights Law in NYS states that every citizen has an “equal opportunity to enjoy a full and productive life.” This law protects you from discrimination in areas such as employment, education, credit, and purchasing or renting a home or commercial space based on your:
- National origin
- Sexual orientation
- Military status
- Marital status
- Domestic violence victim status
- Pregnancy-related condition
- Predisposing genetic characteristics
- Prior arrest or conviction record
- Gender Identity or Expression
- Familial status
- Lawful source of income (in housing only)
- Retaliation for opposing unlawful discriminatory practices
For more information about this and other County programs, contact the Ulster County Service Center (845) 443-8888 or ulstercountyserves.com.